Management’s primary function is to serve the people that they're leading to provide strategic direction to ensure that all the horses on the stagecoach are pulling in the same direction. MTS provide several management programs including strategic planning, executive coaching and leadership portions of lean transformations and product development. MTS employees are mostly built around people with several years of management experience.
“Determine the thing that can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way.”
- Abraham Lincoln
Business assessments are analytical tools which help to understand the business needs and to determine the recommended solutions to achieve measured success. This procedure involves policy development, strategic planning, organization’s perquisites and process improvements, etc.
Business Review Strategy
Business Review is a critical process for any management team. It is based on the business strategic plan. Sales and operations planning and business metrics review processes. This organizes all of these processes in a low overhead model to ensure the targets are tracking and management is diligent in tracking the business results.
Provides a snapshot view of how you're doing and gives you a road map to improve your competitiveness, your performance, and your bottom line.
The Enterprise Assessment is the first step in our strategic, hands-on approach to help improve your company's performance. The assessment is a comprehensive on-site evaluation of your operations that appraises the capabilities and gauges the effectiveness of your business systems. The purpose is to isolate which strategic and tactical business improvement services will help you to raise your performance and provide you with a customized action plan.
- Quick process
- Benchmark against other companies
- Different set of eyes
- Customized solutions
Leverage your strengths and develop your executive team in ways that bring greater effectiveness and satisfaction to your organization.
The most challenging part of a lean transformation is motivating, inspiring, and effectively leading others. To achieve a real transformation to continuous improvement, it is essential that your management team have the confidence and ability to connect with others in a way that is positive, motivational, genuine, visionary, and trustworthy. One-on-one executive coaching will equip your team with a customized action plan to achieve success in a Lean transformation or even if you are just managing change.
- Identify those things that will rapidly accelerate you and the lean initiative to higher success
- Move past limiting beliefs and patterns
- How to handle difficult situations or people
- Skills needed to lead an enterprise-wide change initiative
- Address weaknesses but focus on enhancing strengths
A succession planning is a process that helps ensure that your business has qualified and motivated employees to step into key leadership roles when the time comes. We are a Certified Family Business Transition Advisor through the Galliard Family Business Advisor Institute and have the tools and support to serve the largest business sector in the world—the Family Business. We are able to help family businesses transition successfully through effective ownership and management planning and leadership development that WORKS!
Many recent studies indicate that as many as 55+% of business owners will transition out of their current positions within the next 5-10 years and most have no formal plan to do so, having:
- No successors
- No financial plan
- No personal plan for the future
- No solid options to consider
A successful, well planned transition will provide opportunities for enrichment and joy and the chance to change the course of one’s life with dignity. With effective planning, both the family and the business can thrive through the inevitable changes that impact every small business. We can help:
- Determine the current and desired future value of your business to maximize your investment
- Develop a well-integrated, comprehensive exit strategy for current leaders.
- Develop succession plans that prepare future leaders for business success
- Develop a plan to move forward that acknowledges the issues of both the family and the business
- 95% of businesses in the US today are family-owned or closely-held.
- 80% of those businesses have 20 or fewer employees.
- Fewer than 15% have a solid plan for passing their business on to the next generation of leadership, even though 85% express a wish to do so!
A true lean transformation requires engagement and understanding across the organization including leadership, middle management, and front-line workers.
Lean Transformation is a systematic approach to acquiring and applying a shared way of thinking within an organization. It does not start with a list of tools to change the way things are done. It starts with a change in the way everyone in a company thinks about what they do, how they do it and why it matters. It starts with an open mind and proceeds from there to permeate and change the whole business from the boardroom to the last link in the supply chain.
- Improved cash flow
- Higher profitability
- Higher productivity
- Increased capacity
Hoshin Planning (Policy Deployment)
Align your organization to achieve strategic breakthroughs! If an organization wishes to exceed customer expectations and stay competitive it needs to employ strategic planning. The Hoshin process is a systematic planning methodology for defining strategic objectives and focuses only on the critical few. These objectives cascade down through the organization as plans are developed and goals set at each level of the company. In effect, the goals of every individual should support the goals of the next person up in the hierarchy.
- Provides a standardized strategic planning process that produces actionable plans
- Involves all levels of the business in defining and achieving strategic goals
- Divides strategic goals into measurable objectives with timelines.
- Ensures participants are held accountable for achieving specific objectives
- Leverages Performance Excellence to meet strategic goals
- Enables the entire organization to focus on a shared vision of the future
Value Stream Mapping
Stop searching for the wrong problem. Learn to see where the value truly is! Value Stream Mapping (VSM) is a powerful tool to map the flow of products and information throughout the supply chain. Begin the journey with the current state map and then plan your lean journey with the future state map. VSM shows where you're going and how you're going to get there. Based on your value stream map, you can streamline work processes, cut lead times and reduce operating costs.
- "See the flow" of your value stream and wastes in the flow
- View all products from a system perspective
- Draw both material and information flows of your value stream
- Draw a blueprint for lean transformation - the Future State Map
- Prioritize activities needed to achieve the Future State - the implementation plan
HR Executive Roundtable
The Human Resources Executive Roundtable is a membership group of top human resource executives from South Dakota companies. Membership is by invitation. The overriding purpose of the roundtable is to enhance the effectiveness of members in achieving their organizational goals. Membership fees provide support that helps to advance the field of human resource management and organizational behavior through research and innovation. Although membership will be geared toward manufacturers, other industries will be included to obtain a diversified cross section of leaders throughout South Dakota.
The HR Round Table provides high-quality programs aimed at the concerns of corporate HR executives. These programs are strategic in focus, and the topics are chosen as a result of membership suggestions. The meetings are led either by carefully chosen experts, or roundtable discussion topics driven by questions from the members. Because the membership is small, members are better able to effectively network with other executives across industries. Membership is intentionally limited to around 25 member companies
C-Level Peer Council
C-Level Peer Council are located across the state and are a membership group comprised of Presidents, CEO’s, general managers, plant managers, and key decision-makers of a profit center (officer or near officer responsibility) from South Dakota manufacturing companies. Membership is by invitation.
Common traits of our peer council members:
- Committed to notable, strategic, and organizational growth.
- Must be of a company size where the participant is not required to lead day-to-day operation, or is aggressively preparing to leave day-to-day operations (to show up).
- Must be experienced sufficiently and diversely enough to contribute to the development of other organizations (mentor to others)
- Take business to the “next level”
- Able to address strategy over tactics
- Willing to develop/empower council team members
- Members share mutual advisor role and accountability
- To become a “leader of leaders”
- Seeking advice and trusted advisors to test, shape, and balance planning the future while acting decisively and aggressively in the present.
- Peer perspective, (and other resources) and access to broad ‘been there, done that’ contributing to think strategically, enterprise wide, beyond in-the-box operational direction
- Profitable growth commitment
We will provide:
- Measurable and valuable business results
- Trusted peers, similarly committed in intention and in challenge
- Professional facilitation, Professional advisor
- Facilitator takes active advisor role in emerging topics
- Group driven, relevant topics, living agenda
A C-Level Peer council is forming in the Watertown and Aberdeen areas. Let us know you are interested!
South Dakota Small Business Development Center
The South Dakota Small Business Development Center (SBDC) helps new entrepreneurs realize their dream of business ownership and assists existing businesses in their efforts to remain competitive.
Through a network of six offices across the state and 1,100 SBDC offices around the country, we provide professional, confidential and no-cost business consulting services, including one-on-one counseling and training, to individuals starting a business or looking for ways to improve an existing business.
Better Business Planning:
Since 1985, the South Dakota SBDC has helped clients obtain more than $747 million in financing, creating or preserving more than 13,101 jobs within the state. SBDC services enable South Dakota's entrepreneurs to make better, more informed business decisions, to avoid costly mistakes, and to prepare thorough and complete business plans needed both to obtain financing and to effectively manage their venues.
Benefits of the SBDC:
- One-on-one, confidential no cost business consulting
- Assist existing businesses in remaining competitive in the complex marketplace of an ever-changing global economy
- Research & industry benchmark comparisons
- Development and improvement of business plans creating a roadmap for the business
- Financial analysis and projections used to understand current conditions and plan for future expansion
The SDSBDC is accredited by the national Association of SBDCs and is a statewide service in partnership with:
BusinessUSA is a collaborative effort to create a one-stop shop for everything related to business assistance. Small businesses can quickly connect the services and information relevant to them, regardless of where the information is located or which agency's website or office is contacted.